Cristian Romero: Atletico Madrid hold talks over move for Tottenham captain

BBC Sport · Man City

Senior football correspondentPublished7 August 2026Atletico Madrid have held talks over a move for Tottenham captain Cristian Romero.

The Argentina international, who signed a new four-year deal at Spurs last August, is expected to leave the club this summer.

There has also been interest from Inter Milan in signing the 28-year-old, who played all seven matches in Argentina's run to the World Cup final last month, where they lost to Spain.

But Romero is a long-term target for Atletico manager Diego Simeone, with the Spanish side believed to be pressing ahead with another attempt to sign the centre-back.

Spurs are aware of Atletico's interest and an agreement on personal terms for the player will not be an issue.

Spurs boss Roberto de Zerbi recently said he would "respect the will" of players if they wanted to leave.

Romero missed the end of last season with a knee injury as Spurs avoided relegation on the last day.

He was sent off twice last season as Spurs finished 17th.

Meanwhile, fellow centre-back Micky van de Ven is close to agreeing a new five-year deal with Tottenham.

Latest Tottenham news, analysis and fan views

Ask about Tottenham - what do you want to know?

Read on BBC Sport

More from Tottenham

Pre-season optimism quickly fades for some fansBBC SportWhat does Savinho's £75m move reveal about Man City's multi-club model?BBC SportWhy Spurs' defeat to Brentford is 'worrying' after summer signingsBBC SportAlvarez open to Arsenal transfer - Sunday's gossipBBC SportRoberto De Zerbi says Tottenham are not a ‘team’ and hits out at lack of fightThe Guardian
Prefer a machine-readable version? View as Markdown